Ethylene Oxide (EtO)
EPA is accepting public comments about these proposed revised regulations for commercial sterilizers, including Sterilization Services of Tennessee. Public comments are an important part of the EPA's rule revision process, and concerned Memphis residents are encouraged to participate. All public comments must be submitted by June 27, 2023.
To submit a comment online, click the button below:
Comments may also be submitted by email or U.S. Postal Service. Please follow the instructions below:
- E-mail: Send comments by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attention Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OAR-2019-0178. Please include the docket number in the subject line of your email message.
- Mail: Environmental Protection Agency, EPA Docket Center (EPA/DC), Mail Code 28221T, Attention Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OAR-2019-0178, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20460.
SCHD requested a cancer incidence study by the Tennessee Department of Health's Tennessee Cancer Registry of the area of Sterilization Services of Tennessee. State epidemiologists studied rates of cancer in census tracts surrounding Sterilization Services of Tennessee compared to rates in another group of census tracts located elsewhere in Shelby County. The purpose: to find any cancer clusters that could be linked to EtO emissions from the Sterilization Services facility.
Shelby County Health Department hosted a community meeting at Monumental Baptist Church in South Memphis on Tuesday, March 28, 2023, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. during which Health Director-Health Officer Dr. Michelle Taylor presented the findings from the cancer cluster investigations.
- The summary report of the cancer incidence study presented at the meeting is linked here:
Cancer Incidence Summary Report.
- Link to slides from the meeting presentation.
- Video of the meeting is available on the Shelby County Health Department's YouTube channel linked here.
Learn more about EtO: click here for answers to some frequently asked questions about the chemical and potential health impacts.
Last updated on June 12, 2023