Needle Disposal Program
The Shelby County Health Department’s Needle Disposal Program is a community service designed to provide the residents of Shelby County with a safe, simple, economical method for disposing of used needles or sharps.
- Request a sharps disposal container at the front desk at the Health Department's headquarters 814 Jefferson Avenue, Memphis, TN 38105.
- A $5 fee is required per each 1-gallon sharp container to offset the cost of the container and its safe disposal.
- Cash payment is required. Checks and credit cards are not accepted.
- Properly dispose of used sharps into the container provided.
- When the container is approximately full, permanently close the top following the directions on the container.
- Once closed, return the filled sharps container to 814 Jefferson Avenue.
- Obtain a new sharps container.
Your cooperation is essential to the success of this program. It is important that you adhere to the following guidelines:
- Do not bring sharps in any container other than the approved sharps container obtained from the Shelby County Health Department Central Lab.
- Containers must be properly sealed.
- When disposing of filled sharps container; always give the container to authorized personnel.
- Never leave the container unattended.
- This Program is being provided for the public sector for personal use only. For more information about the program, call 901-222-9523.
Disclaimer: The sharps disposal program is only for residents of Shelby County. All health professionals and businesses are regulated under state and federal biohazard waste laws and may not participate in the program.
- What type of payment is accepted?
- What is include in the fee?
- Can sharps containers be dropped of at any of the Shelby County Health Department’s satellite locations?
- Can I purchase more than one container at a time?
- Why is it important to properly dispose of syringes, needles, and lancets?
- Why can’t needles, syringes or lancets be thrown in the trash?
- What are the hours of operations?