Certificates, Records and Requirements

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get shot records and immunization certificates?
Both the shot record and the Official Immunization Certificate can be provided in response to a telephone or in-person request.

When do I need an Immunization Certificate instead of a shot record?
Children enrolling in daycare are required to provide a TN daycare immunization certificate. Children enrolling from pre-kindergarten through high school are required to provide a TN school Immunization Certificate. 

How do I get out of state shot records transferred to TN?
With proof of immunity, out of state immunization records can be transferred to TN upon request. 

How do I know which immunizations are required for daycare or school entry?
Vaccine requirements vary by age and type of facility or educational program being entered. For details, access the TN Immunization Program online 

What if I have a medical or religious exemption to immunizations? 
Medical exemptions require a physician (MD, DO) or nurse to indicate specific vaccines an individual is medically exempted from (because of risk of harm) on a specific form. In such a case, other vaccines remain required. The medical reason for the exemption does not have to be included on the form. 

Religious exemption requires a signed statement by the parent/guardian that vaccination conflicts with their religious tenets or practices. If the child needs documentation of a health examination for the school, it must be noted by the healthcare provider on the immunization certificate. In that case, the provider should check the box that the parent has sought a religious exemption to explain why immunization information is absent or incomplete. 

How do I obtain guidance in complaining about immunization rates at a daycare center?
Anyone may call directly to the Immunization Program for referral to the proper agency for reporting concerns regarding immunization coverage or vaccine-related illness at a facility. 
  1. Renisha McClain

    Immunization Clinic Supervisor